Wednesday, August 23, 2006

割りに and にしては

This morning, I went for a run and my first thought was,
"For August, it's quite cool today."
「今日は8月の割りに結構涼しいよ。」

(の)割りに is a very useful grammar pattern. I often find myself using it several times a day. But it seems as if there are several other patterns that perform similar functions, if exactly the same ones.


Some of these are listed below with their accepted nuances:

割りに: Considering, for

にしては: Considering, for (the preceeding phrase being a generally agreed upon standard) 

なのに: For, although (see のに)

としては: For, considering (the preceeding phrase having no presupposition or agreed upon standard)
*Not to be confused with として、meaning "as."

Examples:

1.中古車の割りに、値段が高いよ

2.日本語を良く勉強しているにしては、まだ下手だよ。

3.夏なのに、寒いですね。

4.田舎としては、あまり静かじゃない。

1 comment:

jljzen88 said...

Sometimes I see and hear なのに at the beginning of sentences. I don't think this is correct grammar, but it seems to happen enough for me to notice it.

Any similar experiences?